Powered By Blogger

Nov 20, 2010

15 April,2006

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction with some real life references. Any resemblance of the subject to people alive or dead is purely co-incidental :P


"What's taking you so long?"I asked out of impatience to my van driver.He did not answer me.I was returning from school.I had fallen asleep after getting into my school van half an hour ago and I was woken up now because the van had come to a stop and didn't seem to move.It became a little too hot inside given that it was mid-april.I tried to sleep again but failed..I peeped out through the window to find out the reason why my van didn't move.A small crowd was blocking the way.I couldn't find out why they were there but I was sure that they were just stupidly standing witness for something.I stretched my neck out till I could go no more but couldn't see what it was."What's happening there?" I asked my friend Prashanth who was sitting near me."Probably an accident or a road fight" he replied without much interest.My van driver went out to see what it was and how long it would take for the crowd to get cleared.I saw the five year old boys in my van jumping and laughing for no particular reason.I shrugged and turned to Prashanth who was sitting with closed eyes,trying to sleep.I thought of shaking him vigorously to wake him up.The others in the van were talking incessantly,discussing about the day's exam.My van was a mixture of students of different ages.There was atleast one boy or girl from each class- Kindergarden till Xth grade.Me and Prashanth were the only ones of the VIII grade.My van driver returned back puffing and panting.Everyone(except Prashanth who successfully slept off) in the van looked at him,waiting for him to say something.He said with a big smile,"A movie shooting is going on..don't know which one it is but I saw actor Surya!!".There was a sense of pride in him when he said the last three words.Everyone started to act at once.Even the five year olds knew him and they rushed down to see him.Our van driver led them all carefully.In the end me and Prashanth were the only ones left back.It was not that I was not interested to see Surya,but it was only that I was too lazy to go out.Prashanth woke up and was surprised to see no one inside the van."Hey,Where did everyone go ?",he asked with shock.I updated.
"Wow!..Surya?"
"Ya."
"It must be the shooting of Sillunu oru Kadhal.. oh my god!! I can't believe it! Come let's go see"
"Alright let's go."
So we both got down.The crowd had become bigger than what it was the last time I saw it.We got inside the crowd somehow despite people pushing back and forth.People won't waste a single second while trying to take a look at an actor,whom they see almost everyday in TV.Given that Surya's previous release 'Ghajini' was a blockbuster,his popularity seemed to be at a peak.Whatever it was,it was really suffocating for me to be with so many people crushing each other.I tried craning my head or jumping,but couldn't do it.After what seemed to be a long time,we came to the front,completely drenched in sweat and..we did it!I caught a glimpse of Surya.He was short but otherwise exactly the same way as in TV.Prashanth shouted in joy and shouted for autograph.Before I could take a better look,someone pushed me and I fell back.Someone's ankle hit me strongly in the head and I was in pain.I winced in pain and looked up to see no one,not even Prashanth seemed to even notice that I had fallen and got hit.Another one stamped my leg while he was still shouting.I called out to him several times continuously but he didn't seem to hear me.I was angry and hurt.I got up and in a capricious impulse I went back,pushing everyone in the way.I got inside the van,rubbing the back of my head with one hand and sat near the window.A tear rolled out of my right eye.I didn't know if it was because of the pain or because my best friend totally forgot me.What If I had fainted there or was trampled to death.I felt like no one was there to care for me.More tears rolled down my cheeks as I wiped them with my hands.I wondered how people forget their friends-those who have cared for them in the past but they celebrate someone who doesn't even know them,let alone care for them.For a moment,I hated Surya but knew that it was not his fault.I heard someone coming,I wiped my tears and tried to act normally.Prashanth came in,sweat dripping from his face.I looked down,avoiding his eyes.
"Man,its too crowded over there..people don't seem to know basic manners at all.What are you doing here? I thought I lost you in the crowd.."
"Nothing..I just wanted to get some air.",I said and felt a lump in my throat.
"Hey why are you crying ? what happened ?"
"I'm not crying.Nothing happened." and I tried to look at his eyes,but had to turn away.
"Hey I'm sorry dude... I got lost in the crowd and I couldn't find you."he said and touched my hand and held it tightly.I felt better but the tears still came out.He continued,"Alright I'm sorry I left you alone in the crowd.I don't want to blame anything else.I was a bit too excited.But I promise it won't happen again.I'm sorry..It was my fault..."
"It isn't your fault , I got hit in my head.".He rubbed my forehead.
I said,"Thanks."
"For what?"
"For coming for me atleast now ."
"Actually I came to get a paper to get Surya's autograph",he said smiling.
I smiled and punched him in the stomach.

No comments: